pimentaCHAT Windows Installation Guide
Note: This is a community supported installation method. You can discuss about this in the forum thread.
How to install pimentaCHAT on Windows Server 2012 R2
The following guide will step through the various steps for installing pimentaCHAT on Windows Server 2012 R2.
Important: Production deployment using any client versions of Windows, such as Windows 7, 8, or 10 is not supported. However, beta deployment for Windows 10 Pro (or Enterprise or Education) version is available via Docker for Windows see Installing on Windows 10 Pro 64bit with Docker for Windows.
Mobile clients (iOS and Android) are currently not supported using this method of deployment. However, Windows 10 Pro 64bits with Docker for Windows based deployment should support mobile clients.
Note: The steps will include all dependencies. If a particular dependency has already been installed, please skip to any relevant configuration section.
To start, go to
Control Panel -> Programs and Features and uninstall each of the following (if present):
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable
Then, download and install each of the following in order:
- Python 2.7.3 (if you have Python 3.x already installed, just leave it, both can coexist)
- Visual C++ 2010 Express or Visual Studio 2010
- Windows SDK 7.1
- Visual Studio 2010 SP1
- Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Compiler Update for the Windows SDK 7.1
- Ghostscript (Optional for PDF rendering)
- Download MongoDB. (Note: This can be done on a separate computer)
- Run the installer and choose
- Click the
Browsebutton to select desired install path, such as
- Continue through the rest of the installer.
- Now open NotePad and enter the following, replacing [Data Path] with where the database will be stored, such as
systemLog: destination: file path: [Data Path]\logs\mongod.log storage: dbPath: [Data Path]\data replication: replSetName: rs1
- Save the file as
[Installation Path]\mongod.cfgwhere [Installation Path] is the location you installed Mongo
- Open the Command Prompt by pressing
Windows Key + Rand then entering
cmd, right click on Command Prompt and select
Run as administrator
- Now enter the following:
> mkdir [Data Path] > cd [Data Path] > mkdir [Data Path]\db > mkdir [Data Path]\logs > cd [Installation Path]\bin > mongod.exe --config "[Installation Path]\mongod.cfg" --install > net start MongoDB > mongo.exe > rs.initiate() > exit
Note: Do not include the
- Download the latest pimentaCHAT Windows Release from the pimentaCHAT releases page (not available anymore)
- Using an archive utility such as 7zip or tar for Windows, extract the tar.gz file
- Place the files in the desired install path, such as
pimentaCHAT is built on top of Node.js v8.9.3. So we need to install this first.
- Download Node.js v8.9.3
- Run the installer with all default option.
- Open the Windows SDK 7.1 Command Prompt by pressing Start, typing its name, and clicking on it in the search results (Note: It needs to be the SDK Command Prompt)
- Now enter the following, replacing:
- [Installation Path] with the location you placed the pimentaCHAT files
- [Port to Use] with the port for the pimentaCHAT server to use, such as
- [pimentaCHAT URL] with the URL you will use for pimentaCHAT, such as
- [Address to MongoDB] with the IP Address of your MongoDB. (NOTE: If you didn’t install Mongo on another computer, use
- [MongoDB Database] with the name of the database you would like to use, such as
> SetEnv /x86 > cd [Installation Path] > npm install nave -g > npm install node-windows > npm config set python /Python27/python.exe --global > npm config set msvs_version 2010 --global > set PORT=[Port to Use] > set ROOT_URL=[pimentaCHAT URL] > set MONGO_URL=mongodb://[Address to Mongo]:27017/[MongoDB Database] > set MONGO_OPLOG_URL=mongodb://[Address to Mongo]:27017/local > set SCRIPT_PATH=[Installation Path]\main.js > cd programs\server > npm install > cd ../.. > node pimenta.service.js install > net start pimentaCHAT
Note: If missing, pimenta.service.js can be found here Note: Do not include the
Verifying the Install
- View the installed services by pressing
Windows Key + Rand then entering
pimentaCHATin the list. Its status should be
- Open a browser and, in the address bar, enter
- pimentaCHAT should load.
In order to use pimentaCHAT on mobile devices, you must also configure your installation to support SSL with a valid certificate.
IIS Configuration (Optional)
The following steps will detail integrating pimentaCHAT with IIS.
Get UrlRewrite and ARR
- Open IIS, click on your server, and then click on
Get New Web Platform Componentsin the right hand menu
- Install the Web Platform Installer if prompted
- Once open, search for
Routingin the upper right search box
- Click on the
Addbutton for Application Request Routing 3.0 and then
- Once ARR and UrlRewrite are installed, close and reopen IIS
Adding the SSL Certificate
- Click on your server in the left menu and then click on
- In the right hand menu, click on
- Find your SSL Certificate and enter your password
Setting up the pimentaCHAT site
- Create a new Web Site and bind it to the [pimentaCHAT Url] previously specified. NOTE: If you plan on using the pimentaCHAT mobile apps, you must use HTTPS. HTTP is optional only for PCs
- For the physical path, point it to an empty folder in your webroot. (Note: There will be no default document here, just the web.config.)
- Select the new pimentaCHATt site and click on
- In the upper right hand menu, select
Add Rule(s)...and then
http://localhost:[Port Used]in the top box and hit
Ok(Note: This must remain HTTP even if you are using HTTPS)
- If the pimentaCHAT service isn’t running, check the Event Viewer under
Windows Logs\Applicationfor errors from the pimentaCHAT service.
- If the page didn’t load, check the log files in [Data Path]\logs for clues.
- If that doesn’t help, or if you had any other problems during the process, try searching our GitHub Issues
- If you are still having problems, visit the #support channel and we’ll be happy to help.